Name: Will Satcher
Date: 7-28-06
Teacher: Mrs. Bosch
Class: English 10 Honors
How I Am Shaped By My Life
All people are shaped by their life experiences, beliefs, and some are shaped by their knowledge of their family history. In addition, many take into account their geography, meaning their placement on the Earth. These are the articles one must take into mind when determining who they truly are. I am shaped by all of these, yet some are more influencing than others. For instance, considering that I do not know much of my family history, I am not influenced much in this respect. Geography does form me more than my family history, yet it is not as significant as my memory. Personally, I believe that I am shaped mainly by my memories (or, perhaps, the lack thereof), although I am also shaped a lot by my geography, and a little by my parents, giving slight but significant family history.
My memory shapes me because I remember how I was when I was a little kid and I wanted to change over the years, so I did. I remember that as a small child I was shy and afraid of many things, thus making me somewhat of a loner until my older years. Because I remember how I was in my younger years, I wished to change myself; therefore, my memories shape me into something different. I am also shaped by my lack of memory, as mentioned earlier. Because I do not remember much of my earlier life now, I can basically become whatever I want-shape myself the way I wish to-because I have no restrictions on what I expect from myself.
My geography also shapes me, although it is probably not as influential as my memory. I live in California, a place where one can find any race of people when one travels to a big city (i.e. San Francisco, San Diego, Oakland, etc.). Therefore, I have grown up knowing no racial boundaries. Also, the area where I live is well balanced and safe in the manner of weather. In the summer there is much dry heat and my family lives not far away from the beach, which puts one in an excellent mood. Then in the winter it is cool, not horribly freezing. We also live near to the mountains, so there is a chance to go up and snowboard or ski, which presents an air of happiness. There are not very many noticeable natural disasters in California either which makes it a safe place to live.
I have very little family history to speak of. My mother is mainly Portuguese, yet my father does not know exactly what he is, but he is likely a mixture of some German, Native American, and Scotch-Irish. I do not know many of my relatives very well and I know almost none of my family history. The only families I really pick up any ways of life off of are my mother, my father, my aunt, and my cousin. Other than these four family members, not only do I not pick up any ways of life, but also I rarely see any other relatives of mine. But, although I am shaped very little by my family history, it has caused a significant amount of change in me.
Anything can change a human’s life (for better or worse), no matter how minute the detail is, every person grows each day by learning something that they did not know before. They are shaped by what they already know, and pick up customs and habits from those that they consider their superior. I am shaped by many things, mainly my memory, geography, and very little by my family history. Everything has an influence on my life, as it does on anyone else’s. And these are the things that have shaped my life into what it is now, and will continue to shape it into something different every day.
Date: 7-28-06
Teacher: Mrs. Bosch
Class: English 10 Honors
How I Am Shaped By My Life
All people are shaped by their life experiences, beliefs, and some are shaped by their knowledge of their family history. In addition, many take into account their geography, meaning their placement on the Earth. These are the articles one must take into mind when determining who they truly are. I am shaped by all of these, yet some are more influencing than others. For instance, considering that I do not know much of my family history, I am not influenced much in this respect. Geography does form me more than my family history, yet it is not as significant as my memory. Personally, I believe that I am shaped mainly by my memories (or, perhaps, the lack thereof), although I am also shaped a lot by my geography, and a little by my parents, giving slight but significant family history.
My memory shapes me because I remember how I was when I was a little kid and I wanted to change over the years, so I did. I remember that as a small child I was shy and afraid of many things, thus making me somewhat of a loner until my older years. Because I remember how I was in my younger years, I wished to change myself; therefore, my memories shape me into something different. I am also shaped by my lack of memory, as mentioned earlier. Because I do not remember much of my earlier life now, I can basically become whatever I want-shape myself the way I wish to-because I have no restrictions on what I expect from myself.
My geography also shapes me, although it is probably not as influential as my memory. I live in California, a place where one can find any race of people when one travels to a big city (i.e. San Francisco, San Diego, Oakland, etc.). Therefore, I have grown up knowing no racial boundaries. Also, the area where I live is well balanced and safe in the manner of weather. In the summer there is much dry heat and my family lives not far away from the beach, which puts one in an excellent mood. Then in the winter it is cool, not horribly freezing. We also live near to the mountains, so there is a chance to go up and snowboard or ski, which presents an air of happiness. There are not very many noticeable natural disasters in California either which makes it a safe place to live.
I have very little family history to speak of. My mother is mainly Portuguese, yet my father does not know exactly what he is, but he is likely a mixture of some German, Native American, and Scotch-Irish. I do not know many of my relatives very well and I know almost none of my family history. The only families I really pick up any ways of life off of are my mother, my father, my aunt, and my cousin. Other than these four family members, not only do I not pick up any ways of life, but also I rarely see any other relatives of mine. But, although I am shaped very little by my family history, it has caused a significant amount of change in me.
Anything can change a human’s life (for better or worse), no matter how minute the detail is, every person grows each day by learning something that they did not know before. They are shaped by what they already know, and pick up customs and habits from those that they consider their superior. I am shaped by many things, mainly my memory, geography, and very little by my family history. Everything has an influence on my life, as it does on anyone else’s. And these are the things that have shaped my life into what it is now, and will continue to shape it into something different every day.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home